We are now at a moment that marks the honoring of the memory of the illustrious forerunners, actively involved in the political process of finalizing the achievement of the Romanian unitary national state in the first decades of the nineteenth century. During this tumultuous period of the Great War and the Paris Peace Conference, the history of Sibiu was strongly connected to everything that represented the effort to fulfill a desideratum that was initiated in the revolutionary years of 1848-1849.
Just to mark the place and honor the memory of those who have worked on the 1918 Union, the City Hall of Sibiu launched a project in 2018 to bring to the attention of the Sibiu and especially the tourists who visit our beautiful city, which were the buildings and the personalities involved in the preparation of the moment 1 December 1918 and then in the administration of Transylvania during the running of the Conducting Council.
The unveiling of the memorial plaque is in the honor of Iuliu Maniu‘s huge contribution to the realization and consolidation of the Transylvania Union with the Kingdom of Romania, as well as to the importance of his activity during his stay in Sibiu as president of the CD. This unveiling also has a special significance in the context in which we prepare to celebrate 160 years from the Union of Moldavia and Wallachia under one authority of Prince Alexandru Ioan Cuza, which was done on 24 January 1859.
– On the site of the current building there was a smaller one built in the years 1777-1782, demolished to build in 1904 this building whose address was until 1919 – Schewisgasse no. 4;
– since 1919 the street has been named Carmen Sylva – the pseudonym of Queen Elizabeth – and the address has been changed from no. 4 to no. 6;
– the current name – Bdul Victoriei – received it in 1970.
The building was inaugurated on April 15, 1904, becoming the residence of the commander of the 12th Army Corps headquartered in Sibiu, the commander of this body being General Emil Probst von Edler at the time. The building was built by Julius Bielz and remained the property of the Bielz family until nationalization in 1947.
Since January 1, 1919, the building has always been the place for the important activities in which Sibiu was part: from General Berthelot’s visit, housed in the current building of the Rectorate, until the divisions of the Conducting Council in its spaces. Thus, on April 6, 1919, it is noted that:
– at the ground floor of the building (Lucian Blaga Hall) were the Offices of the Revision of Accounts (CD Accounting Service), the Head of Security and the Press Office (headed by Silviu Dragomir – historian and former secretary of the Great National Assembly in Alba Iulia ).
– On the 1st floor was the Secretariat for the Interior (the current offices of the International Relations Service
– on the second floor was the chairman of the Conducting Council – Iuliu Maniu (born January 8, 1873 in Sălaj County – d.
Iulia Maniu was elected on 2 December 1918 as President-in-Office of the Transylvanian Conducting Council, a function equivalent to that of the governor, while also serving as the Minister of Internal Affairs.