The new identity
As a result of the 1984 decision, which no longer provided a schooling figure for the profiles of philology, history and law, and the Higher Education Institute transformed into the Institute of Subordinations, subordinated to the Polytechnic Institute of Cluj-Napoca, the university structure in Sibiu was hit hard. Fortunately, this measure lasted only until 1990, when, due to the major change in the political structure in Romania, the university activity resumed in the town on the banks of Cibin.
The desirability of the Sibiu University of the Sub-Institution Institute, as well as many other representatives of the Sibiu academic environment, was presented and argued before the minister of education at that time, Mihail Sora and his deputy, Paul Cornea, of a delegation from which they made Corneliu Bucur, Mircea Tomuş (both FSN members), Constantin Voicu (rector of the Orthodox Theological Institute), Herman Pitters, Paul Philippi and Hans Otto Schtamp (representatives of the Protestant Theological Institute). The presented project foresaw the establishment of six faculties: mechanics, automation and computers, philology and history, law, technology and chemistry of textiles and food, natural sciences.
In accordance with the provisions of Decree no. 225 of March 5, 1990, the first academic year – 1990-1991 – of the new structure inaugurated the courses of five faculties: Faculty of Letters, History and Law, Faculty of Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Engineering and Faculty of Food Technology and Textiles , adding, by Protocol No. 1375 of September 27, 1991, at these five faculties, the Andrei Saguna University Orthodox Theological Institute, thus becoming the Faculty of Theology “Andrei Şaguna”.
On 12 May 1995, when the 100th anniversary of the birth of the great poet and philosopher Lucian Blaga, the University of Sibiu received the official approval of name change at Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu. The attribution of the name was determined by the special significance that Lucian Blaga’s personality has in Romanian culture, as well as his strong connections with Sibiu between 1940-1945. The ceremony marking the reception of the honorary name took place in the Avram Iancu Hall in the presence of Liviu Maior, Minister of Education (subsequently, Doctor Honoris Causa of ULBS at the proposal of the Faculty of History and Patrimony), the President of the Romanian Senate Oliviu Gherman and the daughter of the poet and philosopher , Dorli Blaga. Through his speech Rector Prof.univ.dr. Dumitru Ciocoi-Pop stressed the importance of the moment, saying: We strongly believe in this charitable union of names and meanings. We believe that the University of Sibiu will always honor the name of the one who, like no other, has anchored in the consciousness of the university the Romanian cultural identity.
At present ULBS has 9 faculties: the Faculty of Theology, the Faculty of Law, the Faculty of Letters and Arts, the Faculty of Engineering, the Faculty of Social and Human Sciences, the Faculty of Sciences, the Faculty of Medicine, the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, the Food Industry and Environmental Protection and the Faculty of Economic Sciences.