The new identity
As a result of the decision of 1984, which no longer granted a tuition for philology, history and law, and the Institute of Higher Education was transformed into the Institute of Sub-Engineers, subordinated to the Polytechnic Institute of Cluj-Napoca, the university structure in Sibiu received a heavy blow. Fortunately, this measure lasted only until 1990, when, as a result of the major change in the political structure in Romania, university activity resumed in the city on the banks of the Cibin.
The desideratum of the Sibiu universities from the Institute of Sub-Engineers, as well as a to many other representatives of the Sibiu academic environment, was also presented argued before the Minister of Education at that time, Mihail Șora and a his deputy, Paul Cornea, from a delegation that included Corneliu Bucur, Mircea Tomuș (both members of FSN), Constantin Voicu (rector of University Orthodox Theological Institute), Herman Pitters, Paul Philippi and Hans Otto Schtamp (representatives of the Protestant Theological Institute). The project presented envisages the establishment of six faculties: mechanics, automation and computers, philology and history, law, technology and chemistry of textiles and products food, natural sciences.
In accordance with the provisions of Decree no. 225 of March 5, 1990 first year University – 1990-1991 – of the new structure inaugurated the courses of five faculties:
Faculty of Letters, History and Law, Faculty of Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Engineering and Faculty of Food and Textile Technology, being added by Protocol no. 1375 of September 27, 1991, to these five faculties, the Orthodox Theological Institute of University Degree “Andrei Șaguna”, become thus the “Andrei Șaguna” Faculty of Theology.
On May 12, 1995, on the 100th anniversary of the birth of the great poet and philosopher Lucian Blaga, the University of Sibiu received official approval to change its name to the “Lucian Blaga” University of Sibiu.The naming was
determined by the special significance that Lucian Blaga’s personality has in
Romanian culture, as well as its strong ties with Sibiu during 1940-1945.
The festivity that marked the reception of the honorable name took place in the Hall “Avram Iancu” in the presence of the Minister of Education Liviu Maior (later became Doctor Honoris Causa of ULBS at the proposal of the Faculty of History and Heritage), the President of the Romanian Senate Oliviu Gherman and the daughter of the poet and philosopher, Dorli Blaga. Through his speech, the Rector, prof.univ.dr. Dumitru Ciocoi-Pop underlined the significance of the moment by saying: We strongly believe in this destined union of names and meanings. We believe that the University of Sibiu will always honor the name of the one who, like no other, has anchored the Romanian cultural identity in the university’s consciousness.
Currently ULBS has 9 faculties: Faculty of Theology, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Letters and Arts, Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Sciences Socio-Human, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Sciences Agriculture, Food Industry and Environmental Protection and Faculty of Economics.